I am so excited that I finally got to buy a good retro peacock chair and at a great price.
My peacock chair
I found this beautiful chair on eBay. It wasn’t too far away and got it at a great price of $75. What a steal!! Most range from the $300 to $600 mark, so I was super excited to get it!
But it definitely needed some TLC. So here were my steps to revamp it:
- You will need to clean it up with a small brush. I used a dust pan brush.
- Next, use your brush extension on the end of your vacuum cleaner hose to do a final clean.
- Cut off any broken bits or tighten them up.
- Get a good primer spray and thoroughly spray coverage on the whole chair
The chair once sprayed with primer
4. Repeat to ensure you get full coverage of the chair.
5. Wait a full 24 hours for the primer to set
6. Spray the chair in whatever colour you desire. I chose white, as I can change its accessories for a different look. White looks fresh and bright, and can blend into any decor.
7. You will need 3 spray cans for each coat. You need to spray each way that the cane goes. For example with my chair I had to spray in an x Criss-cross motion to make sure of full coverage on all the cane slats.
7. Once completely dried (24 hours), do a top coat. Again you will need about 3 cans. Then wait another 24 hours for the paint smell to subside and for complete drying time.
Top: front of peacock chair -finished
Bottom: back of chair -finished
8. Now to decorate the chair. I choose a black velvet round cushion and a black faux fur throw, to enhance the white peacock chair. I recovered the seat cushion by buying another matching throw. I cut 2 layers of the throw 5 cm around the cushion and sewed them together. With the cushion inside, I hand sewed the opening shut.
My peacock chair finished
You can decorate the peacock chair with flowers, coloured paint, pillows, throw, butterflies, ribbon, bows or anything you desire. Here are some other ideas for decorating a peacock chair
Have you decorated a peacock chair? Send me photos, I would love to see.