I love the look of vintage shower caps! And they are really easy to make. I will show you how!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Circle template (large enough for shower cap), you can use anything! I used a serving plate.
- Sewing machine
- Select the fabric of your choice. It should be water proof (if not you will need to also use waterproof backing material inside the shower cap) You can use curtain backing which is obtainable from any fabric store!
- Place your material on a hard surface and use your large round template, like I have used the serving plate, to trace the circle on the fabric. The circle needs to be a bigger width than the circumference of your head.
- Cut out the material.
- Next, you either hem the circle material or use ribbon to sew around the hem for a decorative edging!
- Cut the elastic slightly smaller than your head width. Sew the elastic to the wrong side of the fabric, 5cm from the edge. This will allow a frill to form at the bottom edge. You can pin it prior to sewing it to make sure you get it right around the circle. (As you sew or pin the elastic, pull the elastic slightly to make sure it can be sewn into a full circle and give a slight gathered appearance)
- Now you can wear your shower cap. Enjoy!!
These are both simple projects that are quick and easy to make. You can make these for gifts. Enjoy making them!! Send me photos of your finished products. I look forward to seeing them!
Ridiculously Retro xx